Nine Muppets Kicked off Sesame Street

>> Monday, November 16, 2009

If you're not subscribed to Metal Floss magazine's Twitter account, do yourself a favor and join up. They always post great, fun stuff, and often link to longer stories on their blog. My favorite piece last week: "Nine Muppets Who Were Kicked Off Sesame Street." Here's my favorite:

4. Don Music

don-music

One of Richard Hunt’s most beloved characters was Don Music, a pianist and lyricist who penned such hits as “Mary Had a Bicycle,” “Drive, Drive, Drive Your Car,” and “Can You Tell Me How to Get to Yellowstone Park?” Although his lyrics were so very close to their familiar counterparts, Don demonstrated his artistic frustration by banging his head on the piano, shouting “I’ll never get it! Never, never!” Unfortunately, the kids at home found that so amusing, they began to imitate the act themselves, thus causing Don Music to join the growing pile of retired Muppets.
I have vivid memories of this Muppet from when I was a kid. For years I've quoted him--often while sitting at a computer keyboard, not a piano keyboard. "Oh I'll never get it! Never, never!" I'll cry, then proceed to pretend to bang my head.

I miss you, Don Music. You were the one Muppet I most identified with, and they decided you weren't right in the head.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

1 comments:

tanita✿davis November 16, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

Is it wrong to remember Roosevelt Franklin with grudging affection? He kind of freaked me out, but he was so like the hyper boys I knew, I thought he was real.

I actually subscribe to mental_floss on my Google reader. Like I have time to read MORE stuff...

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP