Aaaargh!

>> Tuesday, January 2, 2007

After two weeks of vacation I had to start back to work today. I finished the top to the Sprinkles quilt but I didn't have a twin-sized batting to finish it and I was feeling pretty frustrated that I didn't actually FINISH anything during my time off. We needed a new bag for our Scrabble tiles and I decided that was just what I needed - a teeny-tiny project that I could finish in one evening. I've never actually sewn a zippered pouch before but I didn't think it would be too hard.














This is my machine after I ran over the zipper and broke my needle. I've opened it up to try to find the part that broke off. No luck with simple looking, or waving around a magnet to try to draw it out of the mechanical depths, so I pull out the compressed air. Maybe it's clinging to some of the clumps of lint inside?















I blasted out an alarming amount of lint, but no needle, so I try to remove the metal plate that's under the face plate by turning the only visible screw.














This is me after I realize that the screw isn't a screw-screw (as in, it doesn't appear to hold two things together) but is more like a set-screw which just keeps turning and turning and, I'm afraid, is only there to screw with the tension. Many thanks to Alan for photographing my misery.















And here I am finding the broken needle attached to the underside of the sewing. Aaaargh! I got everything reassembled and tried to sew, but the needle wouldn't go down into the bobbin area. When I tried cranking it by hand it felt really. . .tight. My horrible suspicions about the mysterious screw appear to be confirmed. I look it up in the manual but the screw is never identified. I mess with it and the problem seems to be getting worse. I mess with it in the other direction and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I keep turning it backwards and eventually give up and turn the machine off and let it "rest" for a little while. When I turn it back on everything works fine and I finish the &*%$#@! project. Happy New Year!

1 comments:

Fabricationist January 3, 2007 at 2:55 AM  

What are spouses for if not to photograph your misery? At least your scrabble tiles are cozy.

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP