Swell Stockings + Neato Ornaments = Easy Applique Designs

>> Wednesday, November 24, 2010

 So on Monday I released the Swell Stocking pattern. And yesterday I shared some Neato Ornaments. Today I'm going to show you what happens when you put them together.
Let's start simple. Cut out an ogee shape, stitch on some rickrack and a button, stitch it to the stocking and - voila - you have a fancy ornament.
I cut out three felt trees and stitched them onto a stocking front. I added a scattering of buttons in lots of colors and sizes and - cute! - a forest of Christmas trees.
The stocking might be my favorite. I cut out one ornament-sized stocking, decorated it with a bit of rickrack, then stitched it onto the full-sized stocking leaving the top open so it acts like a pocket.
Jo went nuts when she saw me slip some lollipops into the stocking pocket for the photo shoot. "I thought that was just a decoration, but it's a pocket?! A pocket?! That is soooo cute!" Even Alan gave it props.
You can fit exactly five of the smaller ornament circles in a stack down the side of the stocking. I laid some ribbon down the center over the dots and stitched it down. The sides of the circles aren't attached and look pretty cool that way.
The smaller circles are also just the right size for these monster eyes. This guy makes me smile every time I see him.
I used the same circle template for these birds - made using designs from Ed Emberley's Picture Pie book.
Ed Emberley is a genius and everyone should have all of his books.

So there you have it. Swell Stockings + Neato Ornaments = a whole bunch of easy applique designs. Now go download them and have some fun! And if you want to just buy a finished stocking - you can find most of them (I'm still working on it) in my shop.

Psst! Come back later today and I'll introduce you to the Anywhere Bear - who can also be appliqued to a stocking! The fun never stops around here.

P.S. In 2011 I'll be launching the Shiny Happy Sewing School - offering weekly video tutorials for beginning sewists of all ages. Sign up for my newsletter or "like" Shiny Happy World on Facebook now so you don't miss a single thing! And if you know someone who wants to make "Learn to sew" one of their New Year's resolutions - please forward them the link. Thanks! And happy sewing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP