Butterfly Girl - with downloadable PDF

>> Thursday, April 8, 2010

 Almost everything Jo owns is suddenly too small. I'm not joking - we just cleaned out her closet and more than half the clothes had to go! Luckily, I've been on a sewing jag lately - and Jo has lots of new clothes to show for it. Clothes that fit.

I drafted a new A-line skirt pattern for her last week and made a couple of simple skirts - but I haven't photographed those yet so I'm going to start the show with this butterfly skirt. I hacked the pattern up a bit. I made a yoke out of the top few inches and then split the rest of the skirt down the center. Then I cut the lower half on the bias so I could chevron the stripes. The fabric is a really soft sheet I got at the Goodwill. Jo liked the result, but thought the skirt was "kind of plain" and asked me to add a butterfly.

So I did. We doodled a couple of pages of butterflies before we got one that Jo approved of and I spent a lovely evening stitching and watching a couple of episodes of Jeeves & Wooster. Aaah. . . bliss. If you want this butterfly to do your own stitching, you can download the line drawing here. It's all split stitch, and I have a tutorial for that here. I highly recommend a quiet evening of relaxing stitching. It's good for the soul.

Jo liked the results - so there's one new skirt hanging in the closet.
It even passed the swing test.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP