Jo: Junior Refashionista

>> Monday, August 3, 2009

Jo recently came to me with a request. The sleeves on this dress were too tight, but she loves it and wants to remake it instead of donating it to the rummage sale. She asked me to cut off the top and make it into a skirt. She wanted to salvage the apple images at the top of the dress so she asked me to cut them out and sew them to the skirt. When she saw what was left of the top after some cutting she thought we could maybe make a vest out of it, but I pointed out that the sleeves would still be too tight. She liked the pretty keyhole button detail at the back of the dress so she decided to make that the top part of a pocket - "big enough to hold some rocks, Mommy."

So here's the finished skirt. I cut the top off just below the apple images so I could simply turn down that green fabric to make a casing for the elastic.

How 'bout my little refashionista? Isn't she awesome?

4 comments:

tanita✿davis August 4, 2009 at 2:09 PM  

ALL POCKETS should be big enough to hold rocks. And the occasional bit of sea glass. And shells. Some with live passengers.

SO cool. This is the type of stuff I should do to my own clothes, but alas -- never did finish that apron in my 8th grade Home Ick class.

Sigh.

Hi! I'm Wendi! August 4, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

Yeah - I'm much better about making things for Jo than I am for myself. . .

tanita✿davis August 11, 2009 at 4:53 PM  

Hey -- have you seen this book? Sounds like an awesome match.

Hi! I'm Wendi! August 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM  

No, I haven't seen that before but it looks fabulous! Jo has a few dresses that have gone through just that cycle of remaking. First we add bands of fabric to the bottom of the dress (or pants) to make it longer. Then it becomes a tunic-ish kind of shirt worn with pants. Then it gets passed on to a smaller friend and it makes Jo and I both happy every time we see it. I'll have to pick up the book. . .

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP