Opening Day

>> Monday, April 6, 2009

It's Opening Day, baseball fans! This used to be a day where I would stay home from whatever I had to do and sit on the couch all day watching baseball games, but alas I have many things to do and so cannot give my whole day to it as I once did.

And, to be honest, I got a little burned out on baseball last season. (Gasp! I know!) I do love baseball, but it's almost too accessible these days, with the online and TV baseball packages that are available. I have to say too that playing fantasy baseball changed the way I watched baseball games. Maybe not in a bad way, but it did change the way I watched, and part of me longed for the days when I rooted for teams and watched the standings, rather than rooting for players and their individual stats.

So now, for the first time in a long time, I am fantasy-baseball-free as the season begins, have only an MLB online account to watch and listen to games (no Direct TV Extra Innings package, and no MLB TV!) and I am ready to renew my relationship with baseball. Let's call it a "renewal of vows." It's time to rediscover the love. (Perhaps baseball and I should go on a cruise together.)

My plan to get back to basics--and we'll see how long it lasts--is to start listening to radio broadcasts and reading newspaper accounts again, even when I could be watching games online. As a kid I could, on a good night, get AM giant 700WLW out of Cincinnati, and I would listen to Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall cover Reds games. I loved those nights. Baseball games weren't all over TV, and I lived four hours from the nearest stadium. Broadcasts from Cincinnati might as well have been broadcasts from Mars--and they were just as exotic and enthralling to me. Later, as a teenager, I loved going in to my school's library every morning and checking the box scores in the newspaper. Now that almost every game played can be found on television somewhere, I miss those more personal connections to baseball, and I want to get them back.

But part of this radical transformation for me as a baseball fan has also been a transfer of allegiance from one team to another--something that I, like most sports fans, find anathema. Why I have abandoned the Cincinnati Reds after decades of fandom for a team that could not be farther away from my home and a city that could not be farther from my experience is probably best left for a rant of its own, but let us just say that it's a combination of mismanagement and inaccessiblity and leave it at that for now.

So tonight at 7:05 p.m. I may tune in to hear my new favorite team--the Los Angeles Dodgers--in their opener against Jake Peavy and the Padres.

Or, I may just read about it in tomorrow's newspaper.

1 comments:

Stephen,  April 6, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

I'm bummed because the Red Sox opener has been postponed until tomorrow due to the rain.

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP