The Great Picture Book Culling Continues

>> Saturday, February 21, 2009

Even though the read-a-thon is over, we've been continuing the Great Picture Book Culling - because it really needs to be done. But we're still getting things settled out betwen the new computer and the old (nearly dead) one. The old scanner won't work with the new computer, so that's kept my book reviews to a minimum. The pile on my desk of books to be blogged is getting pretty tall and wobbly, so yesterday I fired up the old computer, scanned a bunch of stuff, and moved it to the new computer with a flash drive. I'm not going to try to go through the whole pile today - I have enough books to choose from that I can actually break them up with some themes. Today - rhyming books!

First up is Tippintown by Calef Brown. Calef Brown burst on the scene when Daniel Pinkwater gave a glowing review to Polkabats and Octopus Slacks. I think (haven't read it in a while) that Polkabats was a collection of poems - unconnected by anything but their awesomeness. Tippintown is also a collection of poems, but the structure is a guided tour through this weird place with each poem telling you a bit about the sights. The poems are great, but I feel like they're really just there to support the fabulous paintings. This one is my favorite. . .What could be better than giant blue heads?

Well - there's always a a giant pie covered with buzzing flies. Thelonius Monster's Sky High Fly Pie by Judy Sierra is one of the best read-alouds ever. The meter is perfect, the story is funny, and the pictures (by New Yorker cartoonist Edward Koren) are terrific. I have never read this to a group of kids that didn't love it. This is a book that has to be read aloud to really appreciate it. Go ahead. . .The tiny play on The Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly is a great touch. Seriously - get this book.

And finally, a bedtime story. Isn't it always nice to end with a bedtime story? I love the poem Wynken, Blynken, and Nod by Eugene Field, and this edition with art by Giselle Potter is simply lovely. The color palette is full of luscious dark velvety blues - perfect for such a soothing, sleepy rhyme. I love every spread, but I think this one is my favorite.I wish the color and texture of the painting came across better, but I'm afraid the gutter across the middle of the scan ruins things a bit. Hopefully you get the idea.

More to come soon. Happy reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP