Twitter #1: Snow Coming

>> Thursday, January 22, 2009

I can't get to my sewing machine right now in all the house chaos, but I've been doing some handwork in the quiet hours of the evening and I finally finished my first Twitter.

I posted an early version of this here. It actually took me three tries to get him right - but now I'm happy. The snowflakes look nice and crisp against the dark blue of the nighttime sky, they're delicate and feathery (as opposed to overworked and clunky), and I decided not to do the hand-quilted swirls all around - too distracting. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this guy (or the others in my head) but he sure makes me smile. . .

2 comments:

Karin January 30, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

Oh, I liked the last one, but this one is even better!

Care to share your technique for the applique parts? It looks like the branch's edges aren't turned under. Is there interfacing or anything behind it and the bird's body?

As for what to do with him, I think you should give him away. To me. ha ha : )

Hi! I'm Wendi! February 2, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

Thanks! I'll post some more details about the applique technique in its own post - but basically I just fuse a lightweight interfacing on the back of the pieces before I cut them out and then stitch them down with a simple running stitch. I wanted the softness of a raw edge but the interfacing lets me stitch very close to the edge and keeps the fraying from getting out of control.

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP