Seaweed on My Mind

>> Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Today was a lot cooler, but it's been miserably hot all week and I couldn't stop thinking about the beach. We lived in Florida when I was a kid and - in my memory at least - we went to the beach every weekend. There was a great sandbar that we could swim out to. The water was shallow enough that we could hang out there for hours and I remember it being loaded with sand dollars. Sea urchins too, if I remember right. But what was really on my mind this week was seaweed - lovely, cool, slippery (I won't say slimy), green seaweed. We had the basic ribbony stuff, but I also seem to remember some that looked like grapes on a string, with leaves that could be popped like little balloons. I looked online to see if I could find a photo or botanical drawing, but nothing seemed quite right so I designed this pattern from memory. It's pretty stylized, which I like, but I'm starting to wonder if I imagined the stuff.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  June 11, 2008 at 10:12 PM  

Not imagination, memory. We find seaweed matching your general description at Sunset Beach, NC, and, I imagine, it can be found floating in and out of the surf all up and down the NC/SC coast. It's great for making mermaid hair, and the little bead-like seed pods (or whatever the crap they are) are almost as satisfying to crush as bubble wrap.

Anonymous,  June 12, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

I don't remember the seaweed but that's probably because I was preoccupied with the sea urchins. Remember how I used to attach them to that styrofoam tube I had and take them home?

Unknown June 21, 2008 at 6:00 AM  

Do you still use free service like blogspot.com or wordpress.com but they have less control and less features.
shift to next generation blog service which provide free websites for your blog at free of cost.
get fully controllable (yourname.com)and more features like
forums,wiki,CMS and email services for your blog and many more free services.
hundreds reported 300% increase in the blog traffic and revenue
join next generation blogging services at www.hyperwebenable.com
regards
www.hyperwebenable.com

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP