Fabulous Food

>> Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I didn't go overboard with the cooking this holiday season, but I wanted to share a few of my favorites - and all of them are easy so they're good everyday food. Sorry - I forgot to take any food pictures.

Salty, crispy pretzels, creamy caramel, sweet chocolate, nutty pecans - the perfect combination. Jo and I made these fabulous (and super-easy) candy creations from the post here from Angry Chicken. We made them early in the season for gifts and then we made them again because we gave away all of our first batches. These are so good and so easy - they may become a year-round treat.

Fresh Brussels sprouts braised in heavy cream. I love fresh Brussels sprouts and when I saw them in the grocery store last week I bought three pounds - just for me because no one else will eat them. I braised the first pound in heavy cream with the recipe from The New Best Recipe from the folks at Cook's Illustrated magazine. Heavenly! Even Jo liked them and she usually turns her nose up at all vegetables except corn.

And I saved the best for last. Raffy's Turkey Sausage and Chestnut Stuffing - as seen on Everyday Italian, my favorite Food Network show. This is chock full of everything I love. Sweet apples, tart apples, caramelized onions, a splash of white wine to deglaze the pan. Off to a delicious start! Add dried cranberries and yummy roasted chestnuts, cornbread, and sweet Italian sausage. I love the smell of the fennel seed when the sausage hits the hot pan. Toss in a couple of pinches of red pepper flakes for warmth, and a handful of Parmesan (because everything is better with Parmesan) and you have one very tasty dish. I want to make this one all winter, but I know my grocery store will stop selling chestnuts soon. Maybe I could try pecans instead? I'll have to experiment. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous,  December 26, 2007 at 10:52 PM  

Want me to check Williams Sonoma for you? If they still have the jarred chestnuts, they're probably on sale now.

Anonymous,  December 30, 2007 at 3:42 PM  

Buy a bunch now and freeze them! The folks at my local farmers market (who always run out by mid November) say that you can freeze them in the shell. I bet you could roast/boil and peel them first if you wanted. I would lay them out on a cookie sheet and let them freeze solid (overnight at least) before bagging them. They should last until next year's crop.

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP