Wearing Project Runway

>> Sunday, November 25, 2007

Alan here, posting from the road as I visit five Birmingham-area schools in five days to talk about Samurai Shortstop and Something Rotten. The horrible truth: I do not have Bravo in my motel room! (Checking the channel lineup card was among the first things I did when I arrived late Sunday night.) I am faced with three options: read the continual updates on Blogging Project Runway without seeing what's really happening; miss the show and watch when I get home the tape Wendi is making of it; or go to someplace like Mellow Mushroom and ask them to switch over a basketball game to Project Runway, which ought to go over really well. There is always a fourth option, too--I'm putting out the call for Birmingham-area PR fans! Anybody got a Project Runway party I can crash!? I am recently bathed and reasonably well-kempt, and will not talk until the commercial breaks. Throw me a frickin' rope here, people!

Now on to why I'm blogging tonight when I should be working on the edits for Something Wicked. Wendi and I stopped by Steve and Barry's in Asheville on the way home from Thanksgiving at her parents' house so we could check out the winning Victorya/Kevin design on sale. Other bloggers have reported the photo police chasing them from the store, but we were lucky enough to snap some shots without anyone noticing. In fact, there were so few employees at this mall-anchor-store-sized-Steve and Barry's that we felt as though we could have walked right out the back door with armfuls of merchandise and no one would have noticed. Luckily we are made of starcher moral fiber. That and we didn't find much we wanted to steal . . .

So here's the dress:

Click on the image to see it larger. As promised, the price was a whopping $19.98:

The dress came in black and burgundy, and we, like other bloggers, liked the burgundy better. Which begs the question--why were so many of last week's designers afraid of using color? The burgundy is a far cry from the teal blue we got from Elisa/P and Christian/Carmen. I suppose it was closer to the red Ricky/Jack used, but still--bring on the color! I hope this week the designers get to let it all loose . . . although signs point to no. I'll have a preview soon that collects some of the speculation for this week's challenge. Which I cannot watch. Did I mention I don't have Bravo in my motel room?

For the sake of completism, here is the top of the outfit:

Neither of us tried the outfit on (though I was sorely tempted) but it was fun to have it promised in the store and then be able to drop by that weekend and actually see it on the shelf. It was certainly a real kudo for Victorya to have her design in a mass market retailer. I hope she and her family and friends had a little "let's go shopping party" to enjoy it. I know when I have a book hit the shelves I go around to as many bookstores as possible to bask in the glow . . .

6 comments:

Stephanie November 26, 2007 at 10:31 PM  

For what it's worth, I suspect that the lack of color was due to cheap fabric looking less cheap when it's a dark solid. Good-quality fabric shows off good dye and mills that are producing higher quality goods will be able to afford richer dyes and skilled colorists who will produce more sophisticated colors.

I feel your pain on not having Bravo. The one friend I have who has both a tv and a cable set-up that includes Bravo is going to be out of town this Wednesday. You'd think there would be a bar somewhere in New York City that showed it, but if there is, they're guarding the secret pretty closely.

Gratz Industries November 26, 2007 at 11:36 PM  

Good point about the fabric quality/color issue. I hadn't thought of that. And most of the former PR stars who blog have said you can't blow your nose in Mood for $15. (Actually, Jay McCarroll said "I think I paid $10 to fart at Mood once." So clearly this was NOT the place to go shopping for quality, bargain fabrics.

Fabricationist November 27, 2007 at 1:05 AM  

I was actually quite successful in watching the Project Runway first season finale at a bar in Brooklyn where I was staying with friends in 2006. From my "Thursday, March 09, 2006" blog post, "I then traveled back to Brooklyn and had more drinks and dinner at Soda with Steve and Hronn and we watched the finale of PROJECT RUNWAY on the big screen in the back room of the bar." Now, whether they do a weekly or just a finale, who knows but it's worth a try. Give 'em a call.

Soda Bar
629 Vanderbilt Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11238
Phone: (718) 230-8393

Gratz Industries November 27, 2007 at 4:49 PM  

Alas, I am in Birmingham, Alabama, not Brooklyn, New York!

Anonymous,  November 27, 2007 at 7:41 PM  

Maybe you can ask BPR to put out an appeal!

-- desertwind

Fabricationist November 28, 2007 at 12:00 PM  

Well, my Brooklyn comment was more for klosekraft than you. There's probably a gay bar in Birmingham showing it, of course finding a gay bar in Birmingham may not be as easy as you think.

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP