Something Wicked is finished!

>> Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Well, at least the first submission draft is. Officially sold in March and researched, outlined, written and edited by the end of July. What is that - a little over four months? Whew. I feel like I've just sprinted a mile. It's a bit bigger than Something Rotten too - by around fifty pages. How I managed to turn Shakespeare's longest play (Hamlet) into a 200 page manuscript and his shortest tragedy (Macbeth) into 250 manuscript pages is a mystery perhaps not even Horatio could solve.

I also beat my own self-imposed deadline of the end of August. Why push it? Well, not to brown-nose - although the nerd in me does enjoy turning in papers early - but instead to give me more time on the Brooklyn Nine rewrite. A bit of work there, as it's going from nine different first-person voices to a consistent third person narration. I'm also reworking the overall story arc so that there is an overall story arc. (This will make more sense when you can read it. And I certainly hope it makes more sense to me before that.)

Along with the first draft of Something Wicked, I also sent editor Liz a pitch for Horatio Wilkes mystery #3: Something Foolish. This one would be based on A Midsummer Night's Dream, if you hadn't already guessed - from Puck's "Lord, what fools these mortals be!" (Although I had a suggestion from another editor at ALA to call it What the Puck?) Kind of tricky to take a comedy and make it a tragedy, but I have a plan. In many ways Midsummer would be the perfect follow up to where Wicked leaves off, but we'll see. If it's not Midsummer, it will probably be Julius Caesar (Horatio on a college visit to a frat house - think "toga party") or The Tempest (Horatio as an intern at a Disney-esque theme park). That's assuming they want a third book at all!

Here's hoping. I do so love writing these, and Shakespeare does have a few more plays left . . .

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP