Alan's worst kept secret

>> Friday, July 28, 2006

It's been forever since I posted, but it's not for lack of interesting things to report. I haven't told you all about my trip to the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games, or the recent Darcy Pattison Novel Revision Workshop I attended. What's been keeping me so preoccupied? Perhaps my worst kept secret:

I sold two more books!

Yep, you read that right. Don't look so surprised--I've most likely already told you. I was holding out on the announcements because I wanted to wait until I had officially signed the contracts, but the cat is well out of the bag and I thought I better come clean.

Both sales are to my new editor Liz at Dial, and I'm eager to start working with her. The first book, Something Rotten, is due out in Spring 2008. It's "Hamlet" rewritten as a contemporary young adult mystery novel set in Denmark, Tennessee. Horatio, a minor character in the original play, becomes my main character: a wry, sarcastic seventeen-year-old in the mold of Phillip Marlowe. It's Raymond Chandler meets William Shakespeare!

As if that weren't enough, Dial also wants me to write a book we developed together. It's an as-yet untitled middle-grade novel that follows an immigrant family's history in America as it relates to all things baseball: score keeping, baseball cards, baseball stadiums, the women's leagues of the Forties, integration, baseball's westward expansion, and more.

So, in addition to trying to finish the first draft of my fasting girl novel I started this summer, I'm researching and storybuilding for the generational baseball story and editing and rewriting Something Rotten. As I keep telling people, it's a good kind of busy . . .

1 comments:

Anonymous,  July 29, 2006 at 10:59 PM  

I guess I'll just have to get a job at a bookstore to make sure your section is alwasy faced.

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP