That Thumping Sound

>> Tuesday, December 6, 2005

For the record, there is nothing quite like that thumping sound outside your door that heralds the arrival of a box of books you wrote.

All right, so these are just the bound galleys - the cheaply printed paperbacks publishers send out in advance of a book's publication to generate buzz, sales, and reviews. But still, it's a special thing to see that big stack of paper you've been red-lining and revising and rewriting ad nauseam transformed into something resembling a real book. It's got my name right there on the bottom, plus a really cool font for the title with a samurai sword running through it, and my name and the book's title written in Japanese at the top left. And did I mention it's got my name on it? In all caps?

It really is silly, but it's been something of a lifelong dream to see my name on the spine of a book. I wrote my first book - Real Kids Don't Eat Spinach, a knock off of a popular humor book of the day - in the second grade. Before that, I had published a newspaper for my street, called The Blue Spring Lane News, on my grandfather's old Underwood typewriter. (I had to hand-draw the puzzle page though.) I kept writing short stories and aborted novels all the way through high school, and finally finished a novel in college. (It was terrible; we shan't discuss it.)

Now I've made it. Here in my hot little hands is the first physical proof that this hasn't all been a dream. Samurai Shortstop - and my dreams of becoming a professional writer - are finally a reality.

Did I mention it has my name on it?

7 comments:

Fabricationist,  December 7, 2005 at 1:11 AM  

Oddly enough, I have a velo bound, two plastic strips and two black covers (add a little heat), copy of same said Novel-that-shant-be-named somewhere in my storage facility. If anyone is reading this ten years from now and Alan has made a name for himself, give me a call. It'll go tp the highest bidder. I really should go and read it now.

Alan December 7, 2005 at 1:21 AM  

No, you really shouldn't.

Helen December 7, 2005 at 11:58 AM  

Alan: I loved your blog...I too have just received my advanced reading copies, galleys, etc. for my first novel...and you've captured the fun and excitment of seeing it live and in person.
Oh, and my name's on it! Thanks, H.

Alan December 7, 2005 at 2:16 PM  

Helen, tell us about your book!

Kristin Tubb December 7, 2005 at 10:58 PM  

Hi, Alan! Great book cover - it will look wonderful as a poster in the window of -name your favorite bookseller here-! I hope to hear that thumping sound someday, too - right now, I'm hearing a rumbling tummy (as in, starving artist...) :-)

Can't wait for your first booksigning in Nashville!

Anonymous,  December 7, 2005 at 11:08 PM  

Congrats! I can't wait to read your book!

Shirley (we met at a swap-shop)

Genetta December 9, 2005 at 12:04 AM  

Alan,

What a great blog! I have no knowledge of baseball, so I can't comment on Sean Casey. :-)

However, I definitely have an opinion on the cover of your book. It looks GREAT!

Can't wait to read it,
Genetta

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP