The Mayor Leaves Town

>> Wednesday, December 7, 2005

I'm heartbroken. Today, my favorite baseball player of all time was traded away from my favorite team. Sean Casey, the Cincinnati Reds' All-Star first baseman, has been dealt to the Pittsburgh Pirates for left-handed pitcher Dave Williams. Casey was so friendly and chatty with fans, teammates and opponents - especially when opposing players stood with him at first - that he earned the nickname "The Mayor."

A career .305 hitter, Casey had perhaps his best year as a Red in 1999, the year Wendi and I moved to Cincinnati. That season, The Mayor hit 25 home runs, knocked in 99 RBIs, and batted .332 to lead the Reds into a one-game playoff with the Mets for the Wild Card. New York won that game, but it was a thrilling finish to a fantastic year in which we got to see Casey and Co. play many times at the old Riverfront stadium.

While I can't say that I'll become a Buccs fan now, I'll always be a Sean Casey fan. And though he's actually going to a worse team (if that's possible) he'll at least be heading home - Casey grew up in Pittsburgh, watching Pirates games with his dad.

So long, mighty Casey - it was fun while it lasted.

1 comments:

Ron Gratz December 7, 2005 at 3:36 PM  

I will have to buy a black Pirates cap now. Oh well, I will have a complete NL set.

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP