Announcing the latest Star Trek writer: me!

>> Wednesday, February 23, 2011


I'm very happy to announce that I have been contracted to write a Star Trek novel! Those of you who know me well will probably know I've been a fan of Trek for a long, long time.

What few people realize is that one of my first attempts to become a published author, way back in the day, was by sending in a proposal for a Star Trek: The Next Generation novel. I was in grad school at Tennessee at the time, and I had an idea to do a Heart of Darkness/Star Trek mash-up with Worf playing the role of Marlow, going after a rogue Kurtz-like Vulcan on a pre-warp planet. (If that explanation makes sense to you, kudos on multiple levels.)

The funny thing about the whole process was that Pocket Books, the publishers of Star Trek novels, only allowed agented submissions--and no agent was interested in someone who was offering to just write licensed fiction. So Wendi submitted my work under her maiden name as my literary agent--with phony letterhead and all.

Alas, while Pocket Books liked my work (particularly the humor) I had mixed the Next Generation show with the Deep Space Nine show in the book (Worf made a pit stop at DS9 on the way to the assignment--this was before his character migrated to that show!) and that was apparently a no-no. I would have been happy to take that part out, but it was a no from Pocket, and I had already moved on to other writing projects and dreams anyway. My writing career went a very different direction, as you know, but I continued to read Star Trek novels as a fan, and often still daydreamed about writing a Star Trek novel.

Then, at the end of last year, Simon & Schuster began a new young adult Star Trek series called Starfleet Academy. The series is based on the academy days of Kirk, McCoy, Uhura, and Spock, as re-imagined in the fabulous Star Trek reboot that came out in theaters in 2009. Star Trek? YA? I shot off an e-mail to agent Barry right away and asked him to look into it for me. He made first contact, I submitted a proposal, CBS/Paramount gave me their seal of approval--and I was contracted to boldly go where I've never gone before! My proposal is called Starfleet Academy: The Assassination Game, and given the quick turnarounds on the deadlines, it may even come out this year! (Part of the reason I've been so quiet around here lately is that I've had my nose to the keyboard on this and the other book I'm working on.)

I'll continue to write original books of course--in fact, now that I've turned in my outline for the Starfleet Academy book, it's back to the current work-in-progress, The League of Seven, which is almost finished. But writing for Trek is a long-time dream come true, and I'm thrilled to now be an official part of the Star Trek galaxy.

Live long and prosper!

14 comments:

Gretchen February 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM  

So. Cool. How exciting! You're right - the Star Trek/ YA combo sounds pretty fun. Also, I have to say, I like your original HoD mash-up idea as well.

Congrats!

Kyle Carpenter February 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM  

That's a big vulcan deal. Congrats!

Donna Earnhardt February 23, 2011 at 12:52 PM  

SWEET! I'm so happy for you. Live long and prosper, dude. ;)

tanita✿davis February 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM  

Oh, *I* am so all over that.
Somehow, this is a series that HAD to happen.

Maria Nolletti Ross February 23, 2011 at 1:22 PM  

That is beyond extremely cool, Alan. Wow!

Teresa Fannin February 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM  

LOL, on top of everything else, a Trekie geek, I LOVE it. May you live long and prosper, Alan Gratz

Budd February 23, 2011 at 1:35 PM  

congrats. This is so cool.

Britt Kaufmann February 23, 2011 at 1:41 PM  

Kudos to me, I totally got your first scenario! hahaha but really, kudos to you.

Congrats! Very exciting.

the word verification I had to type in was "fiestedi" -- you might have to use that in your book

Kathy Burkinshaw,  February 23, 2011 at 5:18 PM  

Congratulations ! My husband is a big fan of star trek as well so what a sweet opportunity!

Linda A. February 24, 2011 at 6:52 AM  

Alan,

Dreams do come true! I'm so glad for you!

Linda A.

Joyce Moyer Hostetter February 24, 2011 at 7:57 AM  

WEll, that is just awesome! I know you are thrilled. Congratulations, Alan!

Alan Gratz February 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM  

Thanks, everyone! I'm pretty stoked!

Bonnie J. Doerr February 25, 2011 at 10:33 AM  

Alan, I continue to bow to your awesomeness. But it's getting harder and harder to rise again! I'm thrilled for you!

Jess of All Trades February 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM  

Congratulations!!! That's so amazing :D

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP