Easy Peasy Rainbow Skirt

>> Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Alan lost a bunch of weight this year - which means I got a huge stack of too-big clothes to play with. Jo's response when she saw the pile? "Will you make me some clothes from those? I love it when you make things for me out of Daddy's old clothes!" I love it that that's still her attitude - I know at some point she probably won't want to wear things made from her dad's cast-offs. But for now? She got this skirt made from one of his T-shirts. She really does love these super-comfy skirts - though she likes them to be jazzed up a bit. For this one I stitched a rainbow of backstitches around the hem.
For the bottom two rows I stitched right in the stitch lines for the existing T-shirt hem. That dictated the spacing for the rest of the rows - which I eyeballed.

At some point I'll write up a tutorial for this kind of skirt. For you adventurous types who want to try it right away - cut the T-shirt straight across at the armpits. Turn the cut edge down to form a casing for elastic and stitch it in place. Thread some elastic in, close the casing and you're ready to fancy it up. Easy peasy.

5 comments:

tanita✿davis December 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

Okay, a.) Yay, Alan. ::ENVIOUS!::
b.) WOW. How cool. I have seen a pattern to make a dress from a vintage pillow slip for a very slender wee girl, but I hadn't thought to t-shirts! What a great idea! And the embellishment is fun - I can imagine all sorts of fun stuff to use, from buttons to rickrack to iron-on transfers. T-shirts are great!

D,  March 19, 2011 at 3:57 AM  

I think people are too squeamish about refashioning cast off clothing for their kids. I know when I was little (even old as 10 or so) I likes getting to wear my parents old clothes. More comfy, plus it feels special having them give you something they liked.

dana March 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM  

oh that's too funny! See, the same ideas float around in all of our minds. love it!

L.A.C.E. March 23, 2011 at 9:35 PM  

That is such a neat idea. Some people are so smart!!. I found you through Made. Going to be a new follower.

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP