Letterpress Fantasy Baseball Posters

>> Monday, August 30, 2010


Not much time to blog as we're in high gear last-minute costume preparations for Dragon*Con this weekend, but I didn't want to get too far away from my Letterpress class experience before posting some pics! I used my time to create some meta-posters from Fantasy Baseball, my new middle grade novel coming out next spring. Each of these posters is either directly referenced in the book, or references something specific in the book.


A Keep Calm and Carry On poster, in the fashion of the British propaganda posters prepared in advance of an anticipated German invasion. The posters were never used, but were rediscovered decades later and have become popular in the UK. In mine, I've replaced the crown at the top with an image of the Big Bad Wolf, the villain from Fantasy Baseball.


Toad from Wind in the Willows is the shortstop on my team--and is also running for Prime Minister of Ever After, the world in Fantasy Baseball. "Vote Toad" is a constant refrain. I meant to print up some Vote Toad business cards, but I ran out of time. Perhaps if I rent the studio over the winter...


A game day poster for the big game at the end. Click on the image to see it larger. Pretty thrilled with the way this one turned out, and I printed like 200 of them, so I should have plenty to use as giveaways in advance of the book coming out. The big date of the game is the pub date of the book.


Maybe my least successful poster, even though it was the most complicated. I carved three different linoleum blocks and had to print over three different days to do this. Probably an idea best left to screen printing, and I wasn't thrilled with how the colors came together. Still, it was a minor victory: it taught me a lot about image registration. Worse, this poster was the one nobody understood, as you really need the book to help you out with it. Alex, my hero, wants to get out of Ever After, so he goes to a travel agency. In a punny, Phantom Tollbooth kind of way, the agency offers, among other vacations, "Day Trips" to days of the week. Hence the "Visit Sunny Wednesday."


Me hard at work on one of the Vandercook presses! Poster giveaways coming soon. If you haven't registered to receive my e-newsletter before, now is the time to do it! Check out the clunky link all the way at the bottom of this page.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP