Dragon*Con - Wendi's Wizard Cloak

>> Wednesday, August 18, 2010

If I lived in the world of Harry Potter this is exactly the cloak I would wear. I showed the start of the work on it here. Now it's just about done - it just needs some topstitching to help hold the layers in place.
I love the pattern on pattern. I'm going to be wearing it with a patterned shirt, too. The outside of the cloak is pieced black fabrics - anything I could find that was black or dark gray - velvet, narrow and wide corduroy, some gorgeous flocked sort of fabric with a baroque swirly pattern, jacquard and patterned cottons. I'd guess about 2/3 of the squares are straight-up cottons and the rest are "fancy" fabrics. The lining is a beautiful brocade. Now Jo wants one too - but I told her she has to wait until after Dragon*Con.

For anyone interested this sort of thing - I used Simplicity 9887 (view D) with no changes. Good pattern.

2 comments:

tanita✿davis August 19, 2010 at 7:25 AM  

Oooh! As much as I like the lining, and LOVE the outside. Is that heavy enough to wear in the autumn as a regular cloak? Can it be waterproofed?

Hi! I'm Wendi! August 19, 2010 at 7:46 AM  

Thanks Tanita! The outside is my favorite part too - though I love the pattern overload you get when you see the lining too. It's definitely heavy - I'm guessing it weighs at least 10 pounds - and I'm hoping to wear it some this fall. I don't know about waterproofing - I've never tried that before - but it IS machine wash-and-dryable.

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP