My apartment in Japan

>> Friday, March 26, 2010


Some quick shots of my apartment in Japan. It's pretty tiny, so there's not much to show! It's plenty big enough for me though--I don't plan on spending too much time here unless I'm sleeping.


The genkan. You can store shoes inside, but I only brought two pairs, so I've left them on the floor. And I'm not expecting company.


Once you get past the doorway, you go in socks or slippers, like those provided for me here. I'm just going with socks so far.


The little kitchen. No oven: the Japanese do not do a lot of baking.


The bathroom. Which is mostly notable for this extraordinarily complicated toilet:


It has a control pad on the side!


I was advised to just not mess with this. It does heat the toilet seat though, which is a bit decadent. I have that turned on. :-)


The flusher has two directions: flush heavy, and flush light. When you activate either one, the toilet flushes and the tank is filled with this faucet, which you can also use to wash your hands at the same time. Clever!


So far it's the only toilet I've ever had that comes with a complicated set of directions printed on the underside of the lid.


Here's my bedroom. You can barely get around the bed to the balcony! I end up just stepping over it. I'm just grateful that the bed is more than six feet long, so I don't have to hand off it. I'll happy step over it for that!


My desk. Not many places to put things in here--I'm using the floor as a bookshelf and luggage storage. My one little closet is pretty much filled with the clothes I brought. I'm using the luggage as my dirty clothes hamper until laundry time anyway.


My view, such as it is, from the balcony. It's going to be nice for hanging laundry though. And you can see a bit more when you go outside:



I also found this odd box on the balcony:


Which proved to be a metal ladder, to be attached and dropped off the balcony in the event of an emergency!


More after I go exploring!

5 comments:

Ron March 26, 2010 at 8:41 PM  

Hi Alan, I am a friend of Michael Kline's. He showed me the video you did while helping fire his kiln and I watched a couple more of your videos on YouTube. Anyhow, very exciting you are in Japan!! I'll be checking in again. Best, Ron

Fabricationist March 26, 2010 at 9:17 PM  

Good Luck.My last place in LA was 266 sq ft, so your pad looks roomy. Be good my brother and have fun.

Rachel R.,  March 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

Have a wonderful time - I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures!

tanita✿davis March 28, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

I LOVE that toilet. I was shopping in Japantown in SF and saw one that not only heated, but the seat turned a full 180 and water sprayed over it to clean it!!

I would touch no buttons, either.
One of those might be "EJECT."

New Launch Condo February 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM  

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoyed this and I will be back for more. Thanks

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP