Jo Still Sews

>> Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I've been going through my old blog and cleaning it up for a new use. I hadn't done much with it before Alan and I decided to combine our blogs into the Gratz Industries you see here now, and most of the posts I was happy to delete. But not this one. This one is from July 26, 2006, right after we got Jo her first sewing machine. . .

Jo Sews

I'm just getting ready to start a new project - a messenger bag in magenta and orange. In the meantime, we bought Jo a sewing machine. She's learning hand sewing in school, but she sees me on the machine all the time and wanted to give it a try. I'm not turning an almost-4-year-old loose on my very nice machine, so she got her own. It's impossible for her to get her finger under the needle and the speed adjusts to two settings. That last feature is especially nice. Even if she has a lead foot on the floor pedal, the machine doesn't go out of control.

We spent a day following lines on a piece of paper - no thread, just the needle. Then we made a beanbag. Now she wants to make a quilt. How can I say no to that?


We went out this weekend and she picked out the fabric. The squares are all cut and she's started sewing. She's not very good about following the seam allowance lines on the machine, so I draw the stitch line on the fabric and she follows it. She inspects each piece very carefully when she takes it out of the machine. If she's off the line at all - even by a couple of threads - she tells me she'll focus more next time and stay on the line the whole way. Here are some of her first blocks. I'm so proud!


Awww. . . so cute! Back to the present - Jo just today pulled that quilt out of the UFO basket and added a row of blocks to it. Just three more rows to go and soon she'll have a twin-sized quilt, started when she was 3 and finished at age 7. I can't wait!

Here it is so far. And, for the record, she's not using a "toy" machine anymore. She's upgraded to her grandmother's old Singer. The focus is still the same. . .


Happy sewing!

2 comments:

tanita✿davis January 13, 2010 at 4:06 AM  

Oh, how cute is that. I admire her skill and focus. I will someday sit down and really teach myself to sew.

Scrapiana January 30, 2011 at 2:32 PM  

Love it! Yes, that is total concentration there on her face.

I also love your use of the term 'UFO'. Would that be 'unidentified FABRIC object'? If so, bravo. I have many of those amongst my sewing stuff.

Well done, Jo, for finally finishing that quilt! I'm sure many of us have taken a lot longer to get back to abandoned projects. Keep sewing!

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP