Stubbles the Pirate - First Attempt

>> Tuesday, December 1, 2009


Oh dear. I've been working on designing this pirate for about a week now and finally got him finished and stuffed. FAIL!

The hardest thing about designing stuffed toys is that you don't know if it's going to work until it's completely finished. The roundness of the stuffed body really affects the final look of things. In this case - he's taller than he is wide and so the stuffing took up proportionally less of his height - making him look really tall and thin and completely throwing off the proportions of his face. Yikes! I thought I had accounted for that but - clearly - not enough. So - it's back to the drawing board. I actually like how the bottom half of his body turned out, so I'm only making minor tweaks there. The major revisions will be from the shoulders up. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Debbie December 1, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

What's there to fix? I think he's perfect! Love the name, too.

Christin December 1, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

I think he's completely adorable! He's certainly stylized differently from your other recent dolls, but he's a really fun, cartoony shape. Maybe it's the speech bubble, but I think he looks like he walked straight out of the daily newspaper comics.

Hi! I'm Wendi! December 1, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

Thanks Debbie and Christin! I'm definitely going for a cartoony vibe - I'll be ramping that up a bit in round two. I'm going to make all the zigzag stitching (fingers, toes, bottom of shirt, chin, etc.) black so that it has more of a cartoonish black-outline effect. And I'm going to change the head (obviously). It will still be stylized, but I'm going to take off some of the height and give him a thicker no-neck look. In my head it looks awesome. We'll see how it works out in real-life. . .

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP