Recipe - Creamy Corn Chowder

>> Wednesday, October 21, 2009


It's soup season - yay! I love soup! And I love this new recipe for corn chowder I tossed together the other day - definitely a new favorite. It cooks in one pot, uses stuff I usually have on hand, and the leftovers are terrific. Who could ask for more?

Warm up 2T butter and 2T olive oil in a soup pot. Toss in 3 large leeks (chopped), 4 large carrots (chopped) and a sprinkle of salt and let them cook over lowish heat for about 5 minutes. You don't want them to brown, just soften. Shallots would probably work if you don't have leeks on hand, but I think regular onions might be too oniony. In a pinch I'd try it, but maybe reduce the amount?

Add 6 medium red potatoes (cut into 1/2 inch chunks). Don't bother peeling them - really. This isn't that kind of soup. Add 2 t dried thyme, 1 T dried basil, and 2 cans of good vegetable stock. If you have fresh herbs, use 'em of course! Just use twice as much. Add a little salt here too, unless your stock is really salty.

Bring it all to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until the potatoes are soft. It will probably take about 10 minutes.

Stir in 2 cups half and half. Yes - I said half and half. Don't even try to substitute milk. It will not be good and you know it.

Stir in 4 cups frozen corn. If it's the middle of summer and you feel like cutting fresh corn off the cob and using that - you're a better woman than I am. Me? I'd make the soup with frozen corn and serve corn on the cob on the side. And some corn muffins with lots of butter. I do love corn. But I digress. . .

Warm it up until it almost boils, then let it simmer for a few minutes to really blend the flavors together. Taste it and add a bit more salt if it needs it. Eat it in huge bowls. Yum!

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP