Paper Dolls

>> Wednesday, January 14, 2009

So over the holiday break I decided to try something new. I got a good deal on some canvases. I had some paper I had painted with lovely textures. I had an old dictionary I was willing to tear up. And I had some simple drawings of girls in my sketchbook.

Shy came first.I did the sketch a couple of months ago - not sure what I was going to do with it. I thought she looked bashful or shy and I think of her as sort of a self portrait. When I found the dictionary I thought, "If the page with the definition of shy on it has shy in the top left corner of the page, I'll use it as a background for the paper doll." I turned to the S section and - can you believe it? There was "shy" right where I hoped it would be. What are the odds? So that's how Shy came to be. She's finished with a shiny glaze, which I'm not sure I like. I used a matte glaze to finish Adventurer.Adventurer started with the dictionary page. I liked the effect of the collage over the definitions so I went flipping through the dictionary looking for good header words where I wanted them. I liked the sound of adventurer and I immediately thought of those Victorian ladies in pith helmets trekking through Africa. I started sketching, doodled away until I had something I liked, and then thought she really needed a butterfly net. I showed her to Alan and asked what he thought, and he said (I kid you not), "I think she needs a butterfly net or something." So a butterfly net she got.

You can click on either picture to see more detail. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these - but they were fun to make.

Next up - Vigilante. I've got an idea but first I need to paint some papers with black and very dark purple textures. . .

4 comments:

tanita✿davis January 14, 2009 at 3:58 PM  

Oh, WOW are these the coolest things ever. I can imagine them framed... Wow. Do let us know what you end up doing with them.

Hi! I'm Wendi! January 15, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

Thanks! These are a totally new direction for me and I felt a little weird about showing them. I'm glad you liked them!
I'm looking at maybe making them available as prints - I'll keep you posted.

Anonymous,  January 16, 2009 at 7:19 AM  

Ooh, I LOVE Adventurer. Thanks for posting the pics!

Karin January 22, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

i agree - these are fantastic. i can imagine your excitement at finding "shy" where you wanted -- i would've felt the same!!

am VERY eager to see 'vigilante'!

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP