Document author: Jean-Luc Picard

>> Tuesday, January 13, 2009

For years, whenever I installed a new piece of software that asked me for my name and organization, I typed in "Jean-Luc Picard" and "United Federation of Planets," respectively. It was a lark, really, although a part of me was reluctant to put in my real name for software that had, ahem, fallen into my hands off the back of a truck.

I can't remember the last time I did this, but evidence of it still pops up occasionally and gives me a laugh. Just today I went looking for my e-mail signature file, and when I found it, the author was listed as "Jean-Luc Picard." Heh.

Lately this became a smallish problem, as I've begun using Word's in-document comments feature when working on the final drafts of a manuscript with editor Liz. Clever program that it is, Word goes searching in the information you entered during the install, and tags your comments with whatever name it finds. My initial comments were, of course, tagged as the comments of Jean-Luc Picard. Not wanting the good captain's comments all over my manuscript, I made a couple of changes and "Alan Gratz" became the author. Just on that document, at least. :-)

As a default too, whenever I have to enter an e-mail address on some silly site that isn't going to e-mail me for confirmation, I put in picard@uss.enterprise.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP