Vintage Children's Books: Tiny Tins

>> Friday, December 5, 2008

I love to make things out of the still-good pages of damaged children's books. I've been making some necklaces lately to give as gifts (tutorial to come this weekend) and I wanted to come up with some cute matching packaging. And here you have it! These were so much fun to do that I made lots of extras - including some for everyday occasions.

They're great for holding candy too.
And I was absurdly excited when I found out they were just the right size for a gift card.
Want to make your own? They're really easy. I used Altoids-sized hinged tins (you can buy them here), spray adhesive (I use this), and some great papers. You can use scraps of holiday wrap, pretty scrapbook papers, your child's art - anything really. If you want to use children's book pages you can get assorted packs in my shop.

You can buy whole books yourself, of course. But then you end up with a ton of art from a particular book and, unless you're doing themed party favors and want them all to match, you're going to have a lot of leftovers. And you'll want some variety so you'll likely end up with a whole shelf of badly damaged children's books - not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.

I have two assortments available in my shop - one everyday. . .and one holiday. . .
Each assortment will have a nice variety of pages - some famous characters, some not famous but nice vintage style. No two pages will come from the same book so you'll get a good mix.

I'll be posting lots of fun things you can make with these papers in the coming months. Wait until you see my kitchen canisters!

Have fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous,  December 5, 2008 at 12:20 PM  

Awesome idea. They look great.

Mary Emma Allen December 5, 2008 at 11:19 PM  

Delightful & whimsical! I write a children's book blog, One Book Two Book, (www.onebooktwobook.com) and simply must share your blog post with my readers.

Anonymous,  December 21, 2008 at 6:47 PM  

So very very very cool. I love those! Why didn't I find out about these a month ago!

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP