Swiss Chard, Shiitakes and Blueberries - Oh My!

>> Sunday, June 29, 2008

Jo and I got up early yesterday for the Farmer's Market. This is a new weekly necessity due to the pathetic nature of my local grocery store's "produce section." I've been struggling to get Jo to eat vegetables. On our last visit to the Farmer's Market we picked up some summer squash and zucchini. I sauteed them in some butter and olive oil with salt and pepper - nothing fancy and nothing I haven't done a million times before. But this time Jo ate them. And then she told me I should stop getting yucky squash at the grocery store and only get the good kind at the Farmer's Market. Well. I can't argue with that.

So here was the haul this week. Strawberry and cherry jam. Jo didn't like the cherry - good - more for me. I sauteed the Swiss chard last night with some onion and veggie broth. I thought it was great - Jo did not. I sauteed the mushrooms in butter and olive oil, then added a splash of sherry. They were tasting (and smelling) great, but then I decided to add a bit of cream. How decadent! Oops- it's coming out in chunks. Gross. I decided to pretend I had added sour cream (which, actually, it was) and go ahead and eat them anyway. Sadly, I had seen the chunks and couldn't get past that. Jo, however, declared them delicious - in some surprise.

The rhubarb will go into a crisp. My Dad will be horrified to see that I bought rhubarb. As soon as he got his driver's license he regularly ran over his mother's patch so that he wouldn't have to eat it. I love the stuff.

Oh. And there were blueberries. We bought a pint at the market, but then on the way back from Lowe's (our weekly visit) we passed a pick-your-own berry patch and decided to check it out.

The berries were beautiful! Jo kept everyone amused by constantly calling out things like, "I found the prefect berry!" and "Oh my gosh that berry I just ate was soooooo good!"

It was hot and we were unprepared (I was still wearing corduroys from the chilly morning and we had no sunscreen) so we only got a gallon. That's a lot of blueberries!

I don't like blueberry pie or cobbler - I prefer my desserts studded with berries rather than all berry - so a gallon will go a long way. But we eat pancakes every weekend and I also make a lot of blueberry waffles, so we'll go back one day this week - maybe with a few of Jo's friends - and get a couple more gallons to put up in the freezer. Yum!

4 comments:

Kitt June 29, 2008 at 12:16 PM  

Yum indeed! You should plant some blueberry bushes in your new garden, since they grow well there.

Hi! I'm Wendi! June 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM  

As soon as we started picking we were talking about what would be the best place to plant bushes on our property. Now I'm trying to figure out how many - I don't want to go crazy and plant more than we can eat, so as I freeze and bag these I'm counting out how many week's worth of berries we're getting out of a gallon - assuming one batch of pancakes or waffles per week. I can't wait until we get our garden. The plan is to put in the beds this fall (lasagna garden-style) and let them do their thing over the winter so they're ready to plant in the spring. Next year - fresh produce!

Niki June 29, 2008 at 6:10 PM  

Oooh! Dad actually ate some strawberry-rhubarb jelly the other day, so he might not be so horrified at your purchase.

Kitt July 1, 2008 at 3:40 AM  

If you plant more than you can eat, you could barter the extra for something a neighbor has that you don't.

Or send them to me.

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP