Meet Bruce

>> Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Check out the very cool shark the talented Marion Gillins made from my Triangle Toys pattern!


Here's a snippet of the nice email she sent me:

I was immediately inspired to make these, it's just a matter of finding the time! I managed to get both kiddos to sleep AT THE SAME TIME today and I made one! I don't have much quilting fabric in my house, I usually sew with more "unusual" fabrics so I made do.
I have attached pictures of a shark, who I have named Bruce (not from nemo because as my daughter reminded me, "fish are friends, not food", but from Jaws. Or because of the Monty Python sketch. Or both.) I am also plotting an octopus with ribbon loops instead of points, a fish, and a mermaid. My daughter has requested princesses which I think will involve tulle coming out the top like a cascade from a hat and fancy fabric for the triangles.

I am having so much fun thinking about these and it is so nice to be able to sit down and whip one out in one sitting!


First of all - can I say that it was absolute GENIUS to change the sweet mama kangaroo pocket into the rick-rack-lined gaping maw of a shark?! Here's a picture of the kangaroo for those who haven't seen the original post.

Ms. Gillins did exactly what I hope people will do with my patterns - make them their own! I was inspired by the Built By Wendy (no relation) book with sewing patterns. She gives basic patterns for a shirt, a skirt, and a pair of pants - and then shows readers a kajillion different ways to modify those patterns. Add/subtract/gather the sleeves, lenthen/widen/narrow the skirt, etc. It's inspiring and fun - and freeing. With the Triangle Toys I showed how to make the basic shape, how to add feet, a beak, back plates, and a pouch, and how to embed rick-rack in a seam. I hoped that seeing one shape and several variations would invite people to come up with their own variations - and look what happened! A shiny silver shark named Bruce is now chomping down on a little orange fish who is NOT named Nemo. Awesome!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP