Jo's Jar of Eyeballs

>> Friday, November 30, 2007

Jo has been really interested in the pattern sketching I've been doing lately. Any time she sees me with my sketchbook open she adds a few sketches of her own. The other day she drew this. . .She said I should use it to make a pattern. I thought it was a jar of rocks or pebbles (we HAVE been shoveling gravel) and I nattered on and on about how great it would look with some leaves or maybe other things that you find outside. Jo got excited and suggested acorns, which I thought was a great idea. Then she tells me, "Actually it's not rocks. It's a jar of eyeballs." Well. No idea where that came from, but I was happy to run with it and we brainstormed some other fun Halloween ideas. Here's what I've translated to Illustrator so far. The original jar of eyeballs inspired this eyeball polka-dot.Gund made a great Sesame Street cube a few years ago that I've had sitting in the back of my head for a while now. I decided to do some faces in squares.I think I need to make the mummy wrapping lines a little bit thicker. The ghost is kind of. . . eh. The pumpkin's ok, but I think I still need to work on the mouth. The Frankenstein is my favorite. I love his slightly crossed eyes and the flat mouth so I decided to use him to make this cool checkerboard pattern.I showed Jo the square guys and she said we really needed a witch - so here she is.Finally, Jo said that we needed something with spiders. Together we came up with this Mommy and Daddy spider with lots and lots of baby spiders crawling in every direction. Jo suggested black spiders on the purple background. We tried orange and green polka-dots scattered in among the spiders. Jo preferred the green and I agreed - so here it is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP