Atria Weston Place

>> Monday, June 12, 2006

I was more than a little skeptical when I got a call from a retirement community in Knoxville, Tennessee, asking if I would come and visit to talk about Samurai Shortstop. My book, after all, is written for young adults.

There was a connection, however. One of the residents, Elizabeth Brashears, was one of the founding members of the Tennessee Reading Association, an organization which has done much over the last few decades to promote reading among young adults. Ms. Brashears was recently recognized by the TRA for her work when they named an annual writing award she helped to institute after her, and the activities director at Atria Weston Place wanted me to help commemorate Elizabeth's achievement.

Since I was already going to be in town for the Festival of Reading on the World's Fair Park the following day, I said sure.


I ended up having a great time. I spoke to about twenty-five of the residents at Atria Weston Place in Knoxville, and they had many questions during and after my presentation. I sold a few books and made some new friends, including Ms. Brashears -


Thanks to Marlene Viravec and everyone at Atria Weston Place for a great morning!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP