Two new reviews, a school visit, and one book sold

>> Friday, April 21, 2006

It's been a great week here at Samurai Shortstop HQ.

First came word that Samurai Shortstop had made the Summer 2006 Booksense Children's Pick List. (scroll down to see the write-up under "Teen Reads.") This is HUGE for Samurai, as the books on this list get featured by independent booksellers across the country. The blurb included on the list was written by Nicole Yasinsky at the Memphis Davis-Kidd Booksellers, but inclusion on the list means a number of booksellers wrote in to recommend my book. Here's what Nicole had to say:

Exciting and fun -- yet utterly moving -- Samurai Shortstop will shock you, make you laugh, and, at times, make your heart ache for the main character as he tries to understand how the ancient teachings of the samurai fit into a modern world of school and baseball.
Thanks Nicole, and thanks to everyone who voted for Samurai Shortstop!

Then came another surprise - a Galley Talk highlight in Publishers Weekly's weekly Children's Bookshelf e-newsletter, which goes out to thousands of subscribers - including me and apparently half of the people I know. Thanks to everyone who e-mailed me with the happy news! The review was turned in by Carol Moyer of Quail Ridge Books and Music in Raleigh, NC, and it's a great one. Here's an excerpt:

This gripping and satisfying novel is rich with the details of an ancient culture, yet contemporary in its exploration of the struggle to grow and change. Teens, even reluctant readers, will quickly be caught up in the story.
Go read the rest. Just a fantastic write-up! Galley Talk is a space for bookstore owners to rave about their favorite advance galleys of the season. I'm honored!Thanks, Carol!

Another bit of good news came today - I've got a school visit in Lexington, Kentucky the day before my appearance at the Bluegrass Festival of Books! I'll be speaking to English and history classes at Lexington Catholic High School. I can't wait. Lexington Catholic will be my first school visit as an author! Seeing all the private school uniforms will be like deja vu all over again, as the venerable Yogi Berra would say.

And one more minor cause for celebration: I've sold my first book. I have no idea who bought it, but the Lexington Joseph-Beth Booksellers tells me they already have copies of my book on hand, in anticipation of the festival next weekend. Apparently they have them out on a display with other books by festival guests, and one of them has sold already!

One down, nine thousand nine hundred and ninety-nine to go. Thank you very much, my anonymous first customer . . . wherever you are.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous,  April 22, 2006 at 6:18 PM  

Unfortunatly I never read your book, but simply used it to shore up my kitchen table. It would seem that the leg on the right bottom corner, facing West, is roughly 288 pages plus cover shorter than the rest. Sorry about that. I'll read it as soon as I get a new table.

- First Customer

Anonymous,  April 30, 2006 at 9:51 PM  

Hey Gratz,
It's one of those uniformed kids at Catholic stopping to say Hey and good luck with Juliet and the other book you spoke about.


Peace

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP