What We're Reading

>> Saturday, August 14, 2010

I don't really like writing book reviews. I can talk about books for hours on end (and I did just that for many years as a bookseller and sales rep) but when I try to write what I would say it feels stiff and wrong. So I end up not blogging much about books, even though they're a big part of our lives here at Gratz Industries. So this week I'm trying something new - inspired by some posts over at Melissa Wiley's blog where she simply listed what everyone in her family was reading, with little or no comment. So here's what we all read this week. (All links are to www.indiebound.com - support your local indie!)

Family Read-aloud
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire We just finished this and Alan's getting ready to take a two-week Letterpress class at Penland so we have to wait until he's finished to move on to the next one. :-(

Wendi
Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life Fun! We just ordered the next two in the series.
Sapphique This is the sequel to Incarceron and doesn't actually come out until December. Thank goodness I have connections because I don't think I could have waited that long. Sappique is amazing - even better than Incarceron and I'm about halfway through it right now. If I didn't have to make a kajillion costumes by Labor Day weekend I'd read this through in one sitting. It's killing me every time I have to put it down.

Alan
Howl's Moving Castle In progress. He likes it so far and says he can't figure out why it's taken him so long to read something by Diana Wynne Jones.

Jo
Wonder Woman: The Journey Begins reread
One Piece: The Legend Begins (volume 12) Jo loves this manga series. I think they're lots of fun - and also very WEIRD. I'll have to ask her why the title for volume 12 is The Legend Begins.
Goddess Girls: Athena the Brain Just started yesterday. She's pulling it out of my hands right now so I think she's liking it. :-)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban We read this together a few weeks ago and now she has the CD on whenever she's in her room. I don't know how many times she's listened to it already.
D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths We're reading this together for homeschooling.
The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes Jo's been on a real Calvin and Hobbes kick lately. I think that's a Very Good Thing.

1 comments:

tanita✿davis August 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM  

Even though I started in this blogging gig doing just that -- for friends, as we compared books -- I, too, hate writing book reviews, and the longer I'm a writer, the more it seems... disturbing to critique other people's work in such detail when I may someday run into them. I like this style of doing it, and I always am intrigued by what the Wileys read!

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by our blog. Feel free to agree or disagree with us, or just chime in with moral support. We leave most everything, but we of course reserve the right to delete anything that's needlessly nasty, profane, or spam. Now, if you'll just insert your two cents into the slot below...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Read Alan's archived newsletters here.

Blog Archive

Swell Stuff

My Etsy Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP